- The Association of Schools & Programs of Public Health (ASPPH) Annual Meeting is March 7-9, 2018 in Arlington, VA; find out more here.
- The American Medical Student Association (AMSA) 2018 Annual Convention and Exposition is March 8-11, 2018 in Washington, DC; find out more here.
- The American Medical Association (AMA) Medical Student Advocacy & Region Conference is March 8-10, 2018 in Washington, DC; find out more here.
- The Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH) Conference is March 16-18, 2018 in New York, NY; find out more here.
- The American Nurses Association (ANA) Quality and Innovation Conference is March 21-23, 2018 in Orlando, FL; find out more here.
- The American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Deans Annual Meeting is March 24-27, 2018 in Washington, DC; find out more here.
- The Medical Society Consortium on Climate and Health Annual Meeting is April 8-10, 2018 in Arlington, VA; find out more here.
- The seventy-first World Health Assembly is May 21-26, 2018 in Geneva, Switzerland; find out more here.
- The Planetary Health Annual Meeting is May 29-31, 2018 in Scotland, UK; find out more here.
- The Association of Schools of Public Health in the European Region (ASPHER) Deans' & Directors' Retreat will be hosted by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine from June 20-23, 2018; find out more here.
- The National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) 2018 Annual Educational Conference (AEC) & Exhibition and HUD Healthy Homes Conference is from June 25-28, 2018 in Anaheim, CA; find out more here.
- The Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) Conference is August 25-29, 2018 in Basel, Switzerland; find out more here.
- Climate Week NYC is September 24-30, 2018 in New York, NY; find out more here.
- The Academic Nursing Leadership Conference is October 27-30, 2018 in Washington, DC; find out more here.
- The American Public Health Association (APHA) Annual Meeting & Expo is November 10-14, 2018 in San Diego, CA; find out more here.
Featured Reports and Articles:
- Read "The Lancet Countdown: Tracking Progress on Health and Climate Change" reports here.
- Read "The Lancet Commission on Air Pollution" report, October 19, 2017 here.
- GAO, "Climate Change: Information on Potential Economic Effects Could Help Guide Federal Efforts to Reduce Fiscal Exposure," GAO-17-720, Published Sept. 28, 2017, Publicly Released Oct. 24, 2017; read the report here.
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2017. Protecting the Health and Well-Being of Communities in a Changing Climate: Proceedings of a Workshop—in Brief. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/24797; read the article here.
- George M, Bruzzese JM, Matura LA. Climate Change Effects on Respiratory Health: Implications for Nursing. Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2017 Nov 1;49(6):644-52; read the article here.
- Crimmins A, Balbus J, Gamble JL, Beard CB, Bell JE, Dodgen D, Eisen RJ, Fann N, Hawkins MD, Herring SC, Jantarasami L. The impacts of climate change on human health in the United States: a scientific assessment. Global Change Research Program: Washington, DC, USA. 2016 Apr.; read the report here.
- Hancock T, Capon AG, Dietrich U, Patrick RA. Governance for health in the Anthropocene. International Journal of Health Governance. 2016 Dec 5;21(4):245-62; read the article here.
- Almada AA, Golden CD, Osofsky SA, Myers SS. A case for Planetary Health/GeoHealth. GeoHealth. 2017 Apr 1;1(2):75-8; read the article here.
- Walpole SC, Vyas A, Maxwell J, Canny BJ, Woollard R, Wellbery C, Leedham-Green KE, Musaeus P, Tufail-Hanif U, Pavão Patrício K, Rother HA. Building an environmentally accountable medical curriculum through international collaboration. Medical Teacher. 2017 Oct 3;39(10):1040-50.; read the article here.
- Maxwell J, Blashki G. Teaching About Climate Change in Medical Education: An Opportunity. Journal of Public Health Research. 2016;5(1):673. doi:10.4081/jphr.2016.673; read the article here.
- Bell EJ. Climate change: what competencies and which medical education and training approaches?. BMC Medical Education. 2010 Apr 30;10(1):31; read the article here.
- Find out how climate affects health in Facts About Climate Change and Health.
- Find free copies of climate and health lesson plans provided by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) here, and other climate change resources on the NIEHS website here.
- View Global Environmental Health Program information and resources on the NIEHS website here.
- Find climate and health educational resources on the CLEAN website here.
- View resources, data, and publications on environmental health and noncommunicable diseases on the World Health Organization Regional Office for South-East Asia (SEARO) website here.
- Find US government climate and health data and tools on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website here.
- View climate and health data and resources in the International Research Institute for Climate and Society (IRI) Climate Data Library here.
- Find environmental data, including air and water quality and greenhouse gas emissions, on any location in the United States on the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) "MyEnvironment" website here.
- Read the Environmental Health in Nursing E-Textbook for nurses and other health professionals published by the Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments (ANHE) here.
- Find an online course for nursing students entitled, "Disaster Health and Sheltering," hosted on the Disaster Resistant Communities Group website here.
- See nature and environment online courses available on the FutureLearn website here.
- View a catalogue of MOOC offerings on public and global health by the Centre Virchow-Villermé here.
- Learn about the climate and health certificate course offered by NextGenU.org here.
Internship and Job Opportunities:
- The American Public Health Association (APHA) is now accepting applications for 2018 APHA spring internships, open until filled; more information available here.
- The EPA is now accepting applications for various volunteer internships here.
- See additional information about paid and unpaid internships on the EPA website here.
- SUNY Upstate Medical University (UMU) together with SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) are looking for experts in Environmental Health and Medicine for Associate or Full Professor positions as part of the New York State Empire Innovation Scholar Program (EIP):
- Professor of Empire Innovation, Director, Center for Environmental Health and Medicine (Associate/Full Professor); position details here.
- Associate/Full Professor of Empire Innovation, Director, Vector Biology Program; position details here.
- Associate/Full Professor of Empire Innovation, Environmental Epidemiology; position details here.
- Read a report on climate and health philanthropic opportunities here.
- Read an informational blog on climate and health philanthropic opportunities and funding information by Matt James, Health Affairs, March 30, 2017 here.
- Find EPA climate change research grants here.
- Find NIEHS climate and health funding opportunities here.
- Find information on climate and health financial resources on the World Health Organization website here.
Calls for Papers:
- PLOS Medicine is accepting research submissions for a Special issue on Climate Change and Health. The deadline is February 9, 2018; find more information here.
Please watch this space for more information.