Member, Center for Infection and Immunity
Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science, Philadelphia, PA, B.S. (Bacteriology)
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, M.S. (Biology; Gnotobiotics)
Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, Ph.D. (Microbiology)
Ecology and epidemiology of rodent-borne viruses
Arbovirus ecology and epidemiology
Recent major research emphasis is on the ecology of hantaviruses. Long-term field studies of these viruses in their natural rodent hosts are expected to provide information leading to prevention and control of these human pathogens. Coincident and ancillary studies provide knowledge about the mammalian hosts of these viruses as well as providing information about other rodent-borne viruses and about the mammals themselves.
- Attoui, H., Mendez-Lopez, M.R., Rao, S., Hurtado-Alendes, A., Lizaraso-Caparo, F., Hice, C.L., Samuel A.R., Pritchard L.I., Melville, L., Weir. R., Davis, S., Lunt, R., Calisher, C.H., Tesh, R.B., Fujita, R. and Mertens, P.P.C. Peruvian horsesickness virus and Yunnan orbivirus isolated from equine, bovine, ovine and mosquito species in Peru and Australia. Virology 394:298-310, 2009
- Calisher, C.H., Peters, C.J., Douglass R.J., and Kuenzi, A.J. Hantaviral infections of rodents: possible scenarios. Arch. Virol. 154:1195-1197, 2009.
- Calisher, C.H. and Van Regenmortel, M.H.V. Should all other biologists follow the lead of virologists and stop italicizing the names of living organisms?: A proposal. Zootaxa. 2113:63-68, 2009.
- Black, W.C., Doty, J.B., Hughes, M.T., Beaty, B.J. and Calisher, C.H. Temporal and geographic evidence for evolution of Sin Nombre virus using molecular analyses of viral RNA from Colorado, New Mexico and Montana. Virology Journal 6:102 [DOI:10.1186/1743-422X-6-102] 2009 http://www.virologyj.com/content/6/1/102
- Parrish, C.R., Holmes, E.C., Morens D.M., Park, E.-C., Burke, D.S., Calisher, C.H., Laughlin, C.A., Saif, L.J., and Daszak, P. Cross-species viral transmission and the emergence of new epidemic diseases. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 72:457-470, 2008.
- Schountz, T., Calisher, C.H., Richens, T.R., Rich, A.A., Doty, J.B., and Beaty, B.J. A rapid field immunoassay for identifying Sin Nombre hantavirus-infected deer mice. Emerg. Inf. Dis. 13:1604-1607, 2007.
- Calisher, C.H., Wagoner, K.D., Amman, B.R., Root, J., Douglass, R.J. Kuenzi, A.J., Abbott, K.D., Parmenter, C., Yates, T.L., Ksiazek T.G., Beaty, B.J., and Mills, J.N. Demographic factors associated with prevalence of antibody to Sin Nombre virus in deer mice in the western United States. J. Wildl. Dis. 43:1-11, 2007.
- Douglass, R.J., Calisher, C.H., Wagoner, K., and Mills, J.N. Sin Nombre virus infection of deer mice in Montana: characteristics of newly infected mice, incidence, and temporal pattern of infection. J. Wildl. Dis.43:12-22, 2007.
- Calisher, C.H., Childs, J.E., Field, H.E., Holmes, K.V., Schountz, T. Bats: important reservoir hosts of emerging viruses. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 19:531-545, 2006.
- Calisher, C.H., Root, J.J., Mills, J.N., Rowe, J.E., Reeder, S.A., Jentes, E.S., Wagoner, K. and Beaty, B.J. Epizootiology of Sin Nombre and El Moro Canyon hantaviruses, southeastern Colorado, 1995-2000. J. Wildl. Dis. 41:1-11, 2005.
- Calisher, C.H., Mills, J.N., Sweeney, W., Root, J.J., Reeder, S.A., Jentes, E.S., and Beaty, B.J. Population dynamics of a diverse rodent assemblage in mixed grass-shrub habitat, southeastern Colorado, 1995-2000. J. Wildl. Dis. 41:12-28, 2005.
- Root, J.J., K. R. Wilson, C.H. Calisher, K.D. Wagoner, K. D. Abbott, T. L. Yates, A. J. Kuenzi, M.L. Morrison, J. N. Mills, B. J. Beaty. Spatial clustering of murid rodents infected with hantaviruses: implications from meta-analyses. Ecological Applications 15:565-574, 2005.
- Schountz, T., Green, R., Davenport, B., Buniger, A., Richens, T., Root, J.J., Davidson, F., Calisher, C.H., and Beaty, B.J. Cloning of multiple deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus) cytokine and chemokine cDNAs. BMC Immunology 5:1, 2004. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2172/5/1
- Root, J.J., Black, W.C., Calisher, C.H., Wilson, K.R., Mackie, R.S., Schountz, T., Mills, J.N., and Beaty, B.J. Analyses of gene flow among populations of deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus) at sites near hantavirus pulmonary syndrome case-patient residences. J. Wildl. Dis. 39:287-298, 2003.
- Yates, T.L., Mills, J.N., Parmenter, C.A., Ksiazek, T.G., Parmenter, R.R., Vande Castle J.R., Calisher, C.H., Nichol, S.T., Abbott, K.D., Young, J.C., Morrison, M.L., Beaty, B.J., Dunnum, J.L., Baker, R.J., Salazar-Bravo, J., and Peters, C.J. The ecology and evolutionary history of an emergent disease: hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. BioScience, 52:989-998, 2002.