The alumni of the former College of Pharmaceutical Sciences merged with the Mailman School Alumni Association in 2000. The pharmacy alumni group is a strong network of leaders in the industry who host events throughout the year.
If you have news to share or want to get involved, please contact:
Howard Nadel, BS ’74
Director of Research, North Bronx Healthcare Network
Home Phone: 914-722-6608
Email: howard.nadel [at] nbhn.net (howard.nadel@g)howard.nadel [at] gmail.com (mail.com)
You can view the most recent Pharmacy Newsletter here.
1958—We are sad to report the passing of Sandro Rogers, age 85. Sandy was still working as a Pharmacist three days per week at the time of his passing. For service information, please contact Howie Nadel. (updated 8/16)
1975—Warren Drezen has “retired” from South Oaks Hospital, where he had been the Director of Pharmacy. Warren is now serving as a Pharmacy Consultant to several nursing homes as well as lecturing at St. Johns College of Pharmacy.
1974—Howard Nadel recently retired from Jacobi Medical Center, where he had been the Founder and Director of the Research Center.
1965—Richard Ancel—after Pharmacy College, Richard attended and graduated from Loyola Law School. He has served as a patent and international trade attorney for many years.
1965—Steven “Pete” Reiss owned retail pharmacies throughout most of his career. After he “graduated” from retail, he served on the Board of the NYS Buying Co-op.
Please send additional Class News to howard.nadel [at] gmail.com (Howard Nadel).
History of the College of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Under the leadership of Nicholas Murray Butler, president of Columbia University from 1902–1945, the College of Pharmacy (founded in 1829 as New York College of Pharmacy) became part of Columbia University on July 1, 1904. In 1905, the College offered two undergraduate programs: Pharmaceutical Chemist and a Graduate in Pharmacy (PhG). The College eventually became known as the College of Pharmaceutical Sciences in 1970, when it began granting degrees in pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.
During World War II, the College adopted a trimester program in an effort to secure deferment for its students. This plan continued until October of 1946, when the customary program was resumed. In 1942, the College began training hospital corpsmen for the United States Navy. A three-month course was given under the command of the United States Coast Guard, and the College assisted in the training of nearly 1,200 corpsmen in a two-year period.
On January 9, 1973, the ACPE informed the College that unless an adequate phase-out plan was instituted, it would lose its accreditation. The Board of Trustees submitted a plan, and accreditation was extended until June 1976. On May 12, 1976, the College of Pharmaceutical Sciences celebrated its last graduation.
The historic pharmacy located on the College’s first floor was dismantled and moved to Columbia University’s Pupin Hall, and a medicine kit purportedly used by Theodore Roosevelt on safari in Africa was donated to the Sagamore Hill National Site for permanent display.
The College of Pharmaceutical Sciences alumni are comprised of many leaders in the pharmaceutical industry, including a Nobel Prize winner, deans, professors, doctors, and executives. Alumni continue to fund a number of scholarships in memory of beloved pharmacy professors and graduates, which are annually awarded to students at the Mailman School of Public Health.
On January 1, 2000, with the support of Dean Allan Rosenfield, the pharmacy alumni merged with the Mailman School’s Alumni Association.