Our application is found through SOPHAS. Applicants to the Executive MHA/MPH, Full-Time and Part-Time MHA programs can submit a HAMPCAS application instead. Applications must be submitted by the scheduled deadline. Materials must be sent directly to SOPHAS or HAMPCAS unless otherwise stated.
Jump to materials information: Letters of Recommendation | Standarized Test Scores | Personal Statement | Resume | Domestic Transcripts | International Student Requirements | Doctoral Requirements | Optional Addendum |
Applicants will need to submit letters of recommendation from three (3) individuals. Letters should address your academic and research abilities, including your capacity to work independently as well as your ability to comprehend, digest, and assimilate new knowledge. The email address for each recommender must be a professional email address (e.g., with a “.edu” extension or company-related domain). If such an email address is not possible, the student must provide a written explanation and seek permission from the Mailman School of Public Health to utilize a non-professional email address for the reference.
Students who have received a degree in the past 5 years are: required to provide at least 1 academic reference from faculty at that institution and encouraged to provide at least 2 academic references. Students more than 5 years away from their most recent degree are encouraged to provide at least 1 academic reference.
We allow submission of GRE, MCAT, LSAT, DAT, or GMAT scores. There are no cutoff scores. Refer to the "FAQs" section for average scores of accepted applicants.
SOPHAS accepts: GRE & MCAT scores
- GRE scores must be forwarded directly from ETS. Use Institutional Code 2159.
- MCAT scores must be forwarded directly from AAMC. Use code "SOPHAS" and include your AAMC ID#.
HAMPCAS accepts: GRE scores
- GRE scores must be forwarded directly from ETS. Use Institutional Code 0047.
GRE waivers: They are seldom granted
- Process: You will indicate if you are applying for the GRE waiver within the SOPHAS or HAMPCAS application. Please note it is within the committee’s discretion to determine whether the standardized test waiver should be granted. The applicant will receive email notification of either the approval of the waiver request or a request that the applicant submit official GRE scores after your completed application has been reviewed.
Please submit a personal statement/statement of purpose of no more than 500 words. Your statement should address:
- Why are you applying to the Mailman School of Public Health?
- What interests you about the department and degree you are applying to at the Mailman School of Public Health?
- How do you hope to use your education from the Mailman School of Public Health to achieve your long-term career goals?
Please send an up-to-date CV/resume that includes:
- Educational degrees
- Experiences (especially those related to public health)
- Professional skills and accomplishments
- Volunteer activities
If you completed your studies in the U.S. or English speaking Canada, an official transcript from all previous institutions must be sent directly to SOPHAS. All other applicants please refer to the "International Students" section.
Foreign Evaluation: WES Course-by-Course Evaluation
Applicants who have completed their studies outside of the U.S. and English Canada must request a WES course-by-course evaluation and have it sent directly to SOPHAS or HAMPCAS.
English Proficiency: TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants who obtained their bachelor's degree in a country where the primary language of instruction was not English must submit one of the following:
- TOEFL: Required score minimum is 100 (or 600 paper based). Scores must be forwarded directly from ETS. SOPHAS applicants use Institutional Code 5688. HAMPCAS applicants use Institution Code #B589.
- IELTS: Required scores minimum is 7.5. If submitting IELTS, please have them sent directly to our Office of Admissions.
Have more questions? Refer to our FAQS for International Students.
A writing sample may be required. For additional details, please log into your SOPHAS application to view the document tab, located in the program tab.
This section is a space to inform the committee of something you weren't able to state elsewhere on the application. Some example topics include highlighting an additional reason the applicant is an excellent candidate or to address a low GPA. The addendum can be added in the "Other" attachment section of the application.