Identifying Job/Internship/Volunteer Opportunities
The Office of Career Services has received increasing requests from newly admitted students for advice on identifying job opportunities for the summer prior to the start of fall classes and/or for fall. In response, the Office has compiled the following suggestions/resources:
- Search Mailman eRecruiting. Contact the Office of Career Services for login information.
- Search the Columbia University (or Columbia affiliated) jobs databases, JAC, RAPS and HERC. To identify all positions on the Medical Center campus when using JAC and RAPS, select medical center in the location field. To identify positions at the Mailman School when using JAC and RAPS, select: 8201 - Mailman Administration; 8210 - BIO; 8211 - EHS; 8212 - EPI; 8213 - HPM; 8214 - PFH; 8215 - SMS; 8230 - National Ctr for Children in Poverty; 8231 - ICAP; 8232 - National Ctr for Disaster Preparedness; 8233 - Ctr for Infection and Immunity; 8234 - International Longevity Center.
- Contact your Mailman School academic department directly for information on research assistant/teaching assistant opportunities.
- Visit the Experts Guide to identify faculty who share your interests and contact them directly about opportunities on their grants/projects.
- Visit Barnard and Teacher’s College online for opportunities at these respective institutions.
- Visit the New York State Psychiatric Institute for opportunities at this neighboring institution (Riverside Drive/Haven Avenue).
- Visit NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
- Visit Professionals for Non-Profits.
- Visit Idealist for a wealth of not for profit opportunities.
- Once you have paid your deposit, send a request to be added to the Career Services Friday Announcements listserv (firstname.lastname@example.org), which typically features a few full-time, part-time, and internship positions each week. Please indicate that you are a newly admitted student who has paid the deposit and include your Mailman School department.
- International students cannot work off-campus during the academic year.
- Volunteer Opportunites: