New York Governor Cuomo Names Irwin Redlener to Co-Chair Disaster Readiness Commission
He Will Lead One of Three Commissions Created in the Wake of Superstorm Sandy
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo appointed Irwin Redlener, MD , director of the National Center for Disaster Preparedness at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health, to co-chair the New York State Ready Commission. The newly created Commission is tasked with finding ways to ensure critical systems and services are prepared for future natural disasters and other emergencies.
Faculty and staff at the Mailman School and the National Center for Disaster Preparedness will contribute to the work of the commission, which is one of three created by the Governor in the wake of Superstorm Sandy.
The NYS Ready Commission, which is co-chaired by Ira M. Millstein, senior partner, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP, has been charged with reviewing and making recommendations on these specific areas:
- Addressing vulnerabilities in the State’s health care, energy, transportation, communications and other systems
- Ensuring that new, modified, and existing construction is resilient
- Ensuring the availability of adequate equipment, fuel, food, water, and other emergency supplies
- Ensuring that first responders and other critical personnel are able to communicate efficiently and have access to adequate resources
- Ensuring the availability of reliable real-time informa